Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Alla Prima.... pen and ink


Here's a pen and ink drawing of a banana tree I did sitting in my brother and law's garden in India (two weeks ago)

I started in the middle without any preliminary pencil drawing and just worked my way out. Silly really because drawing this way becomes an exercise in total concentration and there is a real danger of slipping up along the way.

I was lucky this time and everything ended up in the right proportion.

If you click on the image you will see the details.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stefan Nuetzel said...

Hey Andrew,
finally some new work from you. It is a beautiful drawing with great structures and a very good distribution of black and white.
Thanks for showing.
Cheers...Stefan

3:06 AM  
Blogger ANDREW JUDD said...

Thanks Stefan. I do like the challenge of black and white now and then. I am always amazed looking at old engravings. The artists back then had such skill at rendering values with line.

Cheers.... Andrew

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home